Thursday 22 March 2012

Cinnamon Cross Cookies

I am a big fan of Donna Hay.
Her motto of fast, fresh and simple really appeals to me.
So it is not surprising that I was browsing her website and found a cookie recipe which seemed very easy to make with Heidi.

Cinnamon cross cookies :-)
(I like the alliteration!)

So off to the kitchen I went with Heidi in tow, checking that I had all the required ingredients. You only need 5 ingredients for the cookies themselves and then of course the icing. My food processor came in handy and pretty soon I had the dough rolled in a ball, wrapped and placed in the fridge.

The hardest part was waiting half an hour before cutting out the cookies!

To my surprise I only had very big cookie cutters. So I improvised and used a 60ml measuring cup to cut out my cookies. Heidi and I cut out many, many, many little round discs. I guess a good 40 cookies came from this one ball of dough!

They came out lovely and golden (some more golden than others).

We had friends over that afternoon and everyone enjoyed the cookies, especially Heidi.
Sadly, I did not try them because I am still on a diet... It was very hard to resist.

I took most of the cookies to work the next day as a treat for my team :-)
Plus I had to remove the temptation from my house!!




Cinnamon-cross cookies

 185g butter, softened
 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
 2½ cups (375g) plain (all-purpose) flour
 1 egg
 1 egg yolk

cinnamon icing
 ¾ cup (120g) pure icing (confectioner's) sugar, sifted
 1 tablespoon water
 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Add the flour, egg and yolk and process until a smooth dough forms. Knead the dough lightly, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 180ºC (355ºF). Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper until 5mm thick. Cut the dough into rounds using a 5cm-round cookie cutter. Place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 10–12 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

To make the cinnamon icing, combine the sugar, water and cinnamon and mix until smooth. Put the icing into a piping bag and pipe a cross on each biscuit. Makes 36.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...