Tuesday 5 February 2013

Pumpkin Fritters a.k.a Pampoenkoekies

One of my favourite vegetable side dishes is pumpkin fritters.
In South Africa it is known as pampoenkoekies.
I LOVE PAMPOENKOEKIES!
Of course, my mother makes them best and I often long for her version of this treat.

Over the last few months I've been experimenting with various recipes which I found on the internet. Sadly they disappointed. It might also be due to my cooking skills or interpretation of the recipe or perhaps that I have this expectation that cannot be met...

Well finally I called my mom and she gave me the recipe at the bottom of the post to try. You see, she has a few recipes that she uses and this one, well this one is a winner.

The kids and I devoured them.




Ingredients:
1,5 cups cooked pumpkin
1 egg
0,5 tsp salt
1 cup self raising flour (sifted)
1,5 tsp baking powder (sifted)
1 cup cooking oil

Syrup:
1 cup sugar
0,5 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp maizena

Method:
Mix the pumpkin, eggs and salt.
Mix in the sifted flour and baking powder.
Heat the oil and add spoonfuls of the pumpkin mixture.
Cook until light brown and cooked through.

Heat the syrup ingredients, except for the maizena. Mix the maizena with a little bit of cold water and stir into the syrup. Mix well.

Pour the syrup over the pumpkin fritters and serve to very happy kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...