Thursday 30 May 2013

Rhubarb Muffins

In my surprise crate from the Streekmolen I received two stems of rhubarb amongst a lot of vegetables.
You know it.
The first thing that came into my head was to make muffins.


The last time I made rhubarb muffins I used dark brown sugar. It worked well but I felt like trying a different recipe and in my search found this one posted by the Telegraph.

It is very easy and I had only had to make one tiny adjustment for the crumble since I did not have any demerara sugar in the house. Plain sugar works perfectly well.

They turned out beautifully.

Sadly I am on a diet and had to remove some of the temptation. Lets face it, in a family of 4 you don't really need 16 muffins. Heidi and I knocked on two of our neighbours doors with a few freshly baked muffins. The surprise and the smiles on their faces was definitely worth it.



Here is a copy of the recipe:

Rhubarb crumble muffin recipe, makes 12 to 16

Ingredients:
For the crumble topping:
50g cold butter, diced
50g plain flour
25g porridge oats
50g demerara sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

For the muffins:
375g self-raising flour
125g soft light brown sugar
1 medium egg, beaten
250ml milk
100g butter, melted and cooled
200g rhubarb, sliced lengthways and chopped
50g caster sugar

Instructions:
* Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
* To make the crumble, rub the diced butter into the plain flour and oats until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
* Add the sugar and cinnamon, mix again and set aside.
* For the muffins, sift the flour into a bowl, add the soft brown sugar and mix.
* Whisk together the egg, milk and cooled, melted butter.
* In another bowl mix the chopped rhubarb with the caster sugar and 2tbsp of cold water.
* Add the egg, milk and butter to the flour and sugar. Add the rhubarb mixture and stir to combine. Do not over mix.
* Divide this mixture between the muffin cases and then sprinkle over the crumble mix, pressing it gently into place.
* Bake for 20-25 minutes. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool.


2 comments:

  1. Hallelujah! Because I also have two rhubarb stems that I have no idea what to do with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oeh, lijkt me lekkerrrr!
    Heb het recept ff uitgeprint.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...