Saturday 9 July 2011

Vegan Cupcake Experiment

I am in a bad mood. For some reason I woke up feeling generally unhappy and annoyed.
Usually I avoid baking things when I am in a bad mood because I really believe it impacts the result of the end product.

However, Heidi desperately wanted to bake something and I eventually gave in.
So I searched for vegan cake and found a recipe that looked promising (no eggs and no diary).

Here is the link to the original recipe. It is on a website called http://www.instructables.com and the idea is that they give step by step instructions on a variety of things from cooking to making a camouflage net (seriously!).

As usual I made a few modifications to the recipe... and I didn't make any icing. We ate them just as they were although icing would have finished the cupcake off nicely.

Both Heidi and my husband really liked the cupcakes but I am not completely sold on them. They reminded me of brownies, but not quite. I am definitely going to keep on experimenting with vegan baking - this was just the beginning!



Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups flour (I used wholemeal flour)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar



Method:
Switch on the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Mix all the dry ingredients together.
Add the wet ingredients and mix well until it becomes a runny batter.
Dish into a muffin tin (I suggest using paper muffin cases since they do tend to stick to the sides).
Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let them cool down, then remove from tin and let them rest some more.
Apply the icing of your choice once they have cooled down.

Make 16 cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...