Tuesday 16 August 2011

The Green Goodness of Spinach Lasagna

Isn't is amazing how a really big bag of fresh spinach leaves can reduce to a lot less in a matter of minutes? Just a little bit of heat and steam and they wilt away.

Such beautiful green goodness, just waiting to be used.

Well, the big bag in my fridge didn't have to wait very long.
It was destined for a lasagna.




I didn't follow a recipe, I just combined what I had in the house and it came out pretty tasty.

All you need is a big bag of spinach, mushrooms, an onion, garlic, olive oil, lasagna sheets, mozzarella cheese, ready made pasta sauce (I used Jamie Oliver's tomato and basil sauce), two hands ful of grated Parmesan cheese and about 150ml soy cooking cream. (Use as much or as little of the ingredients as you feel fit)

Saute the garlic, diced onion and mushrooms for a few minutes in the olive oil. Add the spinach in batches and let them wilt - add some hot water to create steam if necessary. Put aside to rest for a few minutes. Heat up the tomato sauce until boiling point. Season as per your own personal preference.

Drain the spinach and then start layering the lasagna in a square oven dish.
Start with a some pasta sauce, then add some of mushroom and spinach mixture.
Drizzle the soy cooking cream over the spinach and sprinkle a handful of Parmesan cheese on top.
Now position the first layer of lasagna sheets.

Add as many layers as your ingredients allow. I only had two layers of lasagna sheets, thus on top of my final layer of lasagna I drizzled the last of the soy cooking cream, then the last of my Parmesan cheese and finally all the mozzarella cheese.

I placed it in a 160 degrees Celsius preheated oven for one hour. This was out of necessity since I had to pick up the kids and it seemed safer to cook it at a lower temperature to avoid it becoming too dark on top. It worked like a charm.

Remove the lasagna from the oven and let it rest for about 15 minutes.

Serve up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...