Tuesday 27 September 2011

Brioche Bread and Butter Pudding Experiment

I had a lot of Brioche when I came back from Paris.
Way too much.

So I decide to use up most of it in an experiment.

Since I've never eaten nor made bread and butter pudding, I figured why not now?

I didn't really think it through that well... and I had to make do with the ingredients that I had in the house so all in all it wasn't exactly perfect. But it tasted good and next time it will be even better!

Lessons learnt:
- Make enough custard to cover the  bread in your baking dish OR use a smaller dish. This is critical - the bread must be COMPLETELY covered.
Mine wasn't and the top layer turned out too dry - edible but just plain dry.
- Serve it with something like fresh cream or ice cream. We didn't have any in the house and I felt like the dessert needed that additional element.




Ingredients:
2 cups milk - heated to boiling point
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
enough day old brioche to fill a square or rectangular oven dish with about 2 layers of bread

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease an oven dish and set aside.
Stir the butter into the hot milk until it has melted. Add 1/4 cup of the butter-milk mixture to the eggs and whisk them until the mixture is well blended. Add the warmed egg mixture back into the hot milk and whisk in the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until the mixture is smooth.
Spread the brioche into the prepared dish, pour the custard over the brioche until it fills the dish. Bake it for 40 minutes, until the top is browned and a knife inserted comes out clean. Serve it warm with whipped cream or ice cream.


Here is a link to the recipe I used as a starting point. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...