Thursday 31 May 2012

Brown Sugar Cookies

I baked these cookies simply because I have had a bag of dark brown sugar in my cupboard for months now. Its been sitting there, pretty much just in my way.
I don't even remember why I bought it in the first place.

I found a brown sugar cookie recipe on Joy the Baker's site.
It seemed pretty simple so I figured why not?

Only, I made a few mistakes along the way. So my cookies don't quite look as good as her cookies.
I forgot to add the egg.
I just forgot.
So it got added at the very end.
It should be OK, right?

Don't get me wrong.
The cookies are good.
The subtle cinnamon and ginger flavour is lovely.
I just wanted them to look prettier.
But hey, it's not all about looks!

If you make them do let me know how they turned out.



Here is a link to the recipe on Joy the Baker.

Here is a copy of the recipe:


Brown Sugar Cookies

makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies
from Epicurious September 2011

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened (170 gram)
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.  Set aside.

Place butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer.  Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.  Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed for one minute more.

Add the dry ingredients, all at once, to the butter and sugar mixture.  Beat on low speed until the dough begins to come together  and the flour disappears.  Stop the mixer and finish incorporating the ingredients with a spatula.  Once all the flour is thoroughly mixed in, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Place a rack in the center and upper third of the over and preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees Celsius).  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Dollop tablespoons size balls of dough onto the baking sheet.  Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.  Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.  Cookies will last, in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...