Monday 3 October 2011

Salted Caramel Millionare's Shortbread

You might think I am a little silly, but the main reason I made this dessert was because I had a can of condensed milk in the cupboard. I typed 'condensed milk' into the BBC Food web page and did a search.

Salted Caramel Millionaire's Shortbread came up.

It seemed like the perfect dessert for a picnic.

Two things to note...
1. I have never made shortbread.
2. I have never made caramel.

Did that stop me? No, no, no.

Here is a link to the recipe.

I followed it to the letter. However, there were some problems.
The caramel wasn't quite as simple to make as I had hoped... in fact, it was a bit of a disaster!

It split. I mean the condensed milk mixture totally separated from the butter.
I thought I was going to have to just throw it all away, but miraculously I managed to save it. I got rid of the butter, and transferred the remaining caramel to a cold ceramic bowl. Then I stirred it until it became a lovely smooth caramel which was just right in the end.

The shortbread turned out beautifully. All in all it was a bit of a learning curve for me but the dessert was excellent.

It is not called Millionaire's shortbread for nothing - it is very rich so you only need a little bit at a time.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...