Thursday 23 February 2012

Crustless Milk Tart

We had a lot of milk in the fridge and I couldn't decide what to do with it. 
My mom suggested making a milk tart.
It is a traditional South African tart.
There was only one problem... I have never actually made one.

So I started searching for recipes online and finally found one that seemed simple enough.
The best part was that it did not need a crust.
I figured why not.

Heidi was my assistant as usual and we had lots of fun baking.

Since I am still on a diet, I was not able to taste the milk tart.
That left me in a predicament.
Heidi had two slices and begged me for more, so how bad could it be?
I think I will probably try a more traditional recipe next time.

But if you do try this, then please let me know how you liked it!

I found the recipe on a blog called Food and Family by Kit.
Here is a copy of the recipe:


Crustless Milk Tart Recipe
¾ cup / 185ml self-raising flour
2 cups / 500ml milk
2 eggs
¾ cup / 185 ml sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 oz / 25g melted butter
pinch salt
½ tsp cinnamon
Put all the ingredients together into a bowl or food processor and beat to a smooth batter. Pour into a buttered pie dish (approximately 23cm/9" in diameter, but it doesn't matter if it's not exact, the finished tart will just be either a bit deeper or shallower). Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top. Bake for 45 minutes at 175C / 350F. Serve warm or cold. It sinks and becomes denser as it cools. If you eat it hot you'll need a spoon to scoop up the soft custardy tart but cold you can pick up the slices in your hand, if it hasn't vanished long before then.

2 comments:

  1. ow wat sneu dat je het niet eens hebt kunnen proeven..... (wel super goed trouwens hoor!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tja, wel moeilijk hoor... verstand op nul!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...