Tuesday 2 July 2013

Rhubarb Coulis

Rhubarb again.
I was at a bit of a loss.
I just could not make any more muffins, cakes or puddings.
But I had 5 gloriously ripe stalks of rhubarb.

In the end they were transformed into a delicious coulis which we enjoyed with plain vanilla ice cream. The tartness of the rhubarb merged well with the smooth vanilla ice cream.



I did not follow a recipe... because honestly you don't need one.
Just bring water and sugar to the boil, add chopped rhubarb and simmer. You need to figure out the quantities depending on the amount of rhubarb you want to use. I guess I had 3 cups of rhubarb thus I used one cup water and half a cup sugar. I also added a dash of strawberry liqueur and a splash of rhubarb syrup (from Ikea). Let it simmer for a few minutes until the rhubarb is soft.
Strain so that you keep over the lovely sauce and serve with ice cream!



The free dictionary defines coulis as follow:

coulis [ˈkuːliː]
n
(Cookery) a thin purée of vegetables, fruit, etc., usually served as a sauce surrounding a dish
[French, literally: purée]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...