Thursday 7 July 2011

Chicken and Vegetable Red Curry

I've been threatening to make a red curry for a while now.
Mostly because I happen to have a can of coconut milk just waiting to be used.

I was going to make a vegetarian curry but I had two chicken breasts in the freezer that had to be used or thrown away and you know by now that I hate to waste food.



Ingredients:
300 gr chicken breast
1 head of pak choi
1 head of broccoli
1 fennel bulb
1 white onion
1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons red curry paste (I buy ready made curry paste because I am lazy)
1 can of coconut milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
A handful of cashew nuts - roughly chopped
Seasoning
Basmati rice - enough to feed 2 to 3 people

Method:
Wash and chop up the vegetables.
Boil water in a pan and add the basmati rice - follow the instructions on your packaging.
I cook the rice for about 8 to 10 minutes, drain and then rest it for about 10 minutes.
Heat up a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok, add the onions and saute until slightly softened.
Add the garlic and saute for a minute.
Add the rest of the vegetables and stir fry until al dente, which should be about 5 to 10 minutes.
I add a tablespoon or two of water to the wok while the veggies are cooking since this gives off a little steam and cooks my veggies quicker.
Put the vegetables aside.
Add a bit more vegetable oil to the wok and then add the chicken with a dash of soy sauce.
Stir fry for a couple of minutes just to give it some colour. Set aside.
Add the curry paste and stir for a minute - a lovely curry aroma will develop.
Now add the coconut milk and mix well.
Stir for a minute and then add the chicken back into the wok.
Let it simmer for a few minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Now add the vegetables and mix well ensuring the curry sauce covers everything and the veggies are heated through.

Dish up the basmati rice and add generous helpings of the curry to the plate.
Sprinkle the cashew nuts on top and enjoy.

P.S. If you have some fresh coriander then go ahead and add that at the end. I had basil which I added with the nuts but I think coriander is better with a curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...